Wisconsin Statutes and DATCP rules, with some exceptions, state that any person engaging in the business of importing dogs into the State of Wisconsin have an annual dog seller and dog facility operator license from the department. A copy of the dog seller license from the originating state and any required federal license must accompany the application.
These are the individuals and organizations that need to be licensed:
NOTE: If you have not sold or expect to sell 25 or more dogs in Wisconsin you do not need to be licensed.
- Out-of-state dog dealers who import at least 25 dogs a year into Wisconsin, regardless of whether they bred and raised them
An annual dog seller and dog facility operator license expires on September 30 and is not transferable.
The annual fee for an Out-of-State license is non-refundable and is dependent upon the number of dogs sold or expected to sell in Wisconsin before September 30 of the year in which the license is being applied for.
- At least 25 but less than 50: $375
- At least 50 but less than 100: $750
- At least 100 but less than 250: $1,125
- At least 250: $1,500
This license may be obtained by submitting a completed application and appropriate fees to DATCP.
- If you are a Wisconsin Dog Dealer, Breeder or Breeding facility, Click Here
- If you are a Non-profit animal shelter or Animal control facility, Click Here
Please click "Start New Application
" below to apply online.
If you would like to print instructions and a blank application to fill out and mail please click the following links: Instructions
If you have any questions, contact the Division of Animal Health at 608-224-4889
Start New Application
Note: Your session will timeout after 10 minutes of inactivity and you may lose your work. Please set aside some uninterrupted time to complete the application.