Wisconsin Statutes and DATCP rules state, with some exceptions, that any person engaging in the business of selling dogs, breeding or operating a breeding facility have an annual dog seller and dog facility operator license from the department. Each location, other than the residence of a home custody service provider, at which the applicant may keep dogs in the State of Wisconsin must be listed, but not separately licensed.
These are the individuals and organizations that need to be licensed:
NOTE: If you have not sold or expect to sell 25 or more dogs per license year, you do not need to be licensed.
- Wisconsin Dog dealers selling at least 25 dogs a year that they did not breed and raise
- Wisconsin Dog breeders selling at least 25 dogs a year, from more than 3 litters that they have bred
- Wisconsin Dog breeding facilities from which at least 25 dogs a year are sold, from more than 3 litters
An annual dog seller and dog facility operator license expires on September 30 and is not transferable.
The annual fee for a license is non-refundable and is dependent upon the number of dogs sold or expected to sell before September 30 of the year in which the license is being applied for.
- At least 25 but less than 50: $250
- At least 50 but less than 100: $500
- At least 100 but less than 250: $750
- At least 250: $1,000
This license may be obtained by submitting a completed application and appropriate fees to DATCP.
- If you are an Out-of-State Dog Dealer, Breeder or Breeding facility, Click Here.
- If you are a Non-profit animal shelter or Animal control facility, Click Here.
Please click "Start New Application
" below to apply online.
If you would like to print instructions and a blank application to fill out and mail please click the following links: Instructions
If you have any questions, contact the Division of Animal Health at 608-224-4889
Start New Application
Note: Your session will timeout after 10 minutes of inactivity and you may lose your work. Please set aside some uninterrupted time to complete the application.